The University YMCA's La Línea program is seeking an intern for the Fall 2015 semester. La Línea is a free Spanish and English language helpline for the community that provides information, referrals, and advocacy services as a program of the University YMCA. We are seeking an intern to invest 15 hours a week with flexible hours in duties such as phone operator, case advocacy, and volunteer outreach, among others. For more details, see complete description below.
If interested, please contact Megan Flowers at email@example.com with a cover letter and current resume. The deadline to submit your application is August 24. Please email Megan with any questions.
La Línea Internship Description
About University YMCA
The University YMCA has been a vital part of campus life at the University of Illinois since its formation in 1873. The Y has played a powerful role in developing students into leaders who share a commitment to make our world a better place. As the oldest non-profit in Champaign County, the University YMCA has a proud legacy of responding to community needs and serving as a bridge between the university and community.
Throughout our history, we have worked to address campus and community needs by encouraging student engagement in projects and programs that expand their view of the world, deepen their understanding of community, and integrate the ideas, knowledge and skills gained in school by applying to real life situations. The University YMCA has sponsored programs, organizations and activities dedicated to fostering ethical and principled leadership dedicated to building a better world, better human relations and better care for the Earth.
La Línea Overview
La Línea is a free confidential, volunteer-run helpline for the community. For the past 5 years, La Línea has worked to bridge the local Spanish speaking community to local community resources by providing information, referrals, and assisting community members navigate through various systems to gain the resources they need to thrive in our local community. La Línea is not a 24-hour crisis hotline and does not provide services that need immediate urgent attention and emergency response.
• Work in conjunction with Case Supervisor, Intake Coordinator, and Administrative Coordinator in various tasks that may include but are not limited to:
o Operator – Listen to and take detailed notes on caller issues
o Case Advocacy – Set and attend appointments on an as needed basis
o Volunteer Outreach and Retention – Work in tandem with Executive Volunteer team in creating resources, materials, trainings and social events and opportunities to outreach and retain volunteer force.
• Responsible for initial Volunteer requests and interviews
• Send weekly newsletters and updates to volunteers
• Attend community and outreach events
• Serve as La Línea program liaison to the University YMCA and program staff and various other partner agencies
• Connect and nurture relationships with various community agencies and community leaders in order to create and coordinate various services as well as outreach to prospective clients
• Contribute to La Línea’s Cheat Sheet, a resource manual detailing various community resources
• Translation of vital information
• Other duties as assigned or requested
Other notes: Knowledge of Spanish is preferred, but not required.
For more information, see
1001 S. Wright St.